CAPTURING A PORT FOR EVERYONE
We want your help in celebrating the 175th Anniversary of Belfast Harbour Commissioners by sharing your favourite photographs of Belfast’s iconic waterfront, and life in the Harbour Estate.
We believe a picture is worth a thousand words and there are few better ways to tell the story of the history and heritage of Belfast Harbour, and the transformational change of the last 175 years, than through photographs.
Our new competition – Capturing a Port for Everyone – is open to all, and invites local children, adults and visitors to take pictures of the Port and the Harbour Estate on their cameras and smartphones and submit them to Belfast Harbour to be in with the chance of winning one of our fantastic prizes.
So, whether it’s a snap of a seagull at Belfast Harbour Marina… a night-time shot of Belfast’s tallest office building, City Quays 3… a moment captured with family along the Maritime Mile… or a picture of a stunning cruise vessel arriving into Belfast Harbour… we want you to share your photographs.
Competition categories include:
- Best Photograph – People category
- Best Photograph – Port category – Ship / Cruise Ship Photograph
- Best Photograph – Place category
- Best Photograph – Professional Photographer
- Best Photograph – Under 16 Category
While the competition is ongoing, we will also be posting a series of photographs of the Harbour Estate and the Port over the past 175 years on our social media channels, so if you’re interested in learning more about the transformation of our City’s waterfront area in recent years, please follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
We have also invited award-winning professional photographer, and owner of PressEye agency Kelvin Boyes, to help judge the competition entries and select five winners.
The winning photographs and shortlisted entries will be showcased for the public in Belfast Harbour Commissioners’ Harbour Office from September 5-10, to mark European Heritage Open Day.
Please see more information below on competition categories, prizes, competition guidelines, and terms and conditions..
- Best Photograph – People category: submit a photograph of people working or living within Belfast Harbour, visiting our iconic waterfront, enjoying the Maritime Mile or taking part in an event at Belfast Harbour.
- Best Photograph – Port category (ship / cruise ship photograph): submit a photograph of a vessel or cruise ship in Belfast Harbour, or in the channel during the 2022 season. You’ll find an updated cruise schedule for cruise ship arrivals into Belfast here.
- Best Photograph – Place category: submit a photograph that depicts the transformation of Belfast Harbour and the City’s waterfront in recent years, or one that showcases a landmark, building, piece of infrastructure, or view / landscape within the Harbour Estate.
- Best Photograph – Professional Photographer: a category for professional photographers who make an income from photography. Entries must be submitted with a piece of evidence that the entrant may be classified as a ‘professional photographer’. There is no specific theme or subject for this category.
- Best Photograph – Under 16 category: a category for young people and children under 16. There is no specific theme or subject for this category. Please remember to obtain parent or guardian permission to enter.
- Adherence/relevance to category
- Originality and level of creativity
- Composition and quality
- Best People Photograph – An overnight stay for 2 people at AC Marriot Hotel in Belfast.
- Best Port Photograph – An overnight stay for 2 people at AC Marriot Hotel in Belfast.
- Place Photograph – An overnight stay for 2 people at AC Marriot Hotel in Belfast.
- Best Professional Photograph – £200 voucher for Titanic Hotel.
- Best Photograph – Under 16 category – Camera / photographic equipment to the value of £200, and a family pass to Titanic Belfast
- Entries must be emailed (in high resolution) to Belfast Harbour at email@example.com.
- Within your email, please include the below information:
- Age / DOB
- Contact number
- The category you wish to enter
- Evidence that the entrant may be classified as a ‘professional photographer’ (if entering the ‘Professional Photographer’ category)
- You may also want to share links to your photo if you have posted it on social media
- The competition is open for entries between Monday 23rd and Monday 15th August. Entries submitted after the closing date will not be accepted.
- If you have any questions related to the photography competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applications will be shortlisted, on the basis of the judging criteria, and Belfast Harbour will aim to communicate a decision within two weeks of the competition closing date.
- Photographs submitted for entry into the competition must be taken within the Harbour Estate.
- Applicants should be prepared to participate in media and PR activity surrounding the competition.
- The photographer should have the permission of any person featured in a photograph.
- Applicants’ details and data pertaining to the competition will be stored and managed in line with GDPR.
- Members of the public are not permitted to access private / restricted areas of the Port.
- Drone imagery is not permitted.
- Belfast Harbour employees, as well as their immediate families, are encouraged to take part by sharing their photographs on social media, but are not eligible to win a prize.
Full T&C’s can be found in the document here.